Taking a payment over the phone
If your account is set up to do so you’ll be able to take payments over the phone direct from your Clover card machine.
If you’re set up to take phone payments the Phone Sale app should already be downloaded on the device. If not, you’ll need to download the app from the Clover App Marketplace, you can find help on downloading Clover apps in this article.
- Open to the Phone Sale app
To start taking payments over the phone, open the “Phone Sale” app, enter the transaction amount and select “Phone Sale”.
- Enter the customer’s card details
- Have the customer read out the Primary Account Number “PAN” (the long card number) and enter it directly into the card machine, never write it down.
- Have the customer read out the expiry date on their card. This must be entered as MM/YY - for example, November 2022 would be entered as “11/22”
- Have the customer read out the security code on their card. This is the last 3 digits of the number of the back of the card, usually on the signature strip.
- Enter the customers address details
- Have the customer tell you their address (the one registered to the card). For the Address Verification Service (AVS) check you will need at least the first line of the address (e.g., “29 Acacia Road”) and their postcode.
- You’ll then be able to print a receipt
- If the transaction is successful, you’ll have three different customer receipt options (paper, email or text) and can change your receipt printing settings on your card machine.
- And that’s it, you’re done.
- You can view details regarding your completed transactions by logging into the Tyl portal, updated every hour.