Setting up Tap to Pay
Find out all you need to know about getting set up with NatWest Tap to Pay in our handy user guide.
Otherwise see our summary steps below and you’ll be on your way in no time at all.
In this article:
How do I set up my NatWest Tap to Pay app?
- Complete an easy, quick and hassle free onboarding process with the Tyl sales team
- Download NatWest Tap to Pay app from the Google Play Store
- Open the app and initiate a security check
- Grant permissions for NFC, location and phone
- Log into the app using your login credentials – these will have been sent to you during onboarding
- Start taking payments!
What is NFC?
NFC (near field communication) is a technology that allows two devices - your phone and a card machine - to talk to each other when they’re in very close proximity (under 10cm). NFC is the technology that enables contactless payments. Google Pay is an example of how NFC is used.
How do I enable NFC on my device?
Go to Settings > Connections > NFC and contactless payments. Tap on the NFC switch to activate it.
Do I need an internet connection?
Yes, in order to process transactions, you’ll need an internet connection via Wi-Fi or data coverage (minimum 3G speed).
Why are NFC, location and phone permissions required to use NatWest Tap to Pay?
NFC needs to be enabled in order to read contactless cards and devices. Location and Phone are needed to securely process the payments (technically speaking, they're required to pass the PCI and payment flow attestations).