No one likes giving money back, but it’s an important and unavoidable part of business. Thankfully, with the NatWest Tap to Pay app refunds are as painless as they can be.
In this article:
How do I process a refund?
On the Tap to Pay app:
- Tap 'Transactions'.
- Search for the sale you want to refund from the list. You can filter the list by date, type and status, if necessary.
- Once you find it, tap on the transaction.
- If the transaction hasn't been void or fully refunded, you will see options to refund.
- Tap 'Refund'.
- Enter the value of the refund up to the full amount paid (you can do partial refunds), and hit 'Refund'.
- The contactless tap icon and the amount will appear on screen. Show this to the customer, and have them tap and hold the payment card (or device) they used to make the original payment to the back of your phone (where the NFC sensor is).
- One the card is read successfully, the screen will display a 'Card read successful' message.
- The 'Payment successful' message will appear and give you the option of sending or printing a receipt or showing a QR code to the customer to access their receipt.
Please refer to the NatWest Tap to Pay user guide for more details.
Can I refund a transaction that hasn’t been taken through NatWest Tap to Pay?
NatWest Tap to Pay only allows refunds on transactions that have been processed through Tap to Pay. The owner can process refunds on any Tap to Pay transactions across their business, but a staff member (with 'Cashier' access) can only perform refunds on transactions taken on their device/account.
Do refunds need to go to the original card?
Yes, you'll need to refund your customer onto the same card that they originally used - this is to make sure you comply with scheme rules and our terms and conditions.
What happens if the refund is more than I've taken in sales that day?
Don't worry, you'll still be able to process the refund, but we'll need to send you a Direct Debit collection notice if there's a negative balance at the end of a business day. We'll then take this from the bank account you registered with us, within 10 business days.