Taking payments over the phone
Taking payments over the phone is straightforward, but the exact process will depend on which virtual payment processor you're registered with. Using Tyl as an example, there are lots of ways you can accept phone payments.
- Log in to your virtual terminal, go onto the payment screen and enter your customer's card details.
- Alternatively, if you have a Clover card machine, you can take card payments over the phone using the Phone Sale app.
- Or use 'pay by link' - once you've taken a call, you email the customer a link to a secure page where they can complete the payment using any of the card schemes we support. For anyone worried about whether taking payments over the phone is safe, this is an ideal solution to prevent fraud.
- Once you've taken a phone payment, your customer will receive an email receipt confirmation, giving them the reassurance that their transaction has been successful.
- As an added bonus, e-receipts are better for the environment than all that paper...
Is payment over the phone safe?
Yes, it's safe for any business to take payments over the phone, provided you comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, known as PCI DSS. You should choose a reputable virtual terminal provider to reduce your PCI exposure, as non-compliance can lead to fines.
Using a secure payment system ultimately protects you as a business owner and your customers, whose cardholder data is vitally important to protect.
If you're making a payment over the phone as a customer, you should ensure that the company you're intending to pay is legitimate, and that they ask for the standard security information, such as the long card number and expiry date, which should apply regardless of which virtual terminal they use.
Take secure phone payments with Tyl
With Tyl, you can take debit and credit card payments over the phone in no time at all. As long as you're connected to the internet, you can take secure payments from any device - smartphones, laptops or tablets - and keep your customers happy. Find out more (fees apply).